The very first band that I ever listened to and loved was Switchfoot. I remember being in seventh grade and sitting in the computer room in the basement and listening to the same CD over and over again. I was obsessed that these strangers that knew absolutely nothing about me were able to grab my emotions and change my perspective of the world. They were able to do it when I was 12 and they continue to this day. Here’s my top ten Switchfoot Songs:
Something More (Augustine’s Confession) (1999) “In a quiet desperation of the emptiness he says… ‘There’s got to be something more; Than what I’m living for; I’m crying out to You'”
- I found this song in the past few years and I loved it because it’s a story about Augustine and how he was not happy with his life and so he decided to change it. It’s a song about how if you are unhappy or not pleased with how you are living, you make those changes to be better. I love what this song is about.
Meant to Live (2003) “We were meant to live for so much more; Have we lost ourselves?”
- This was my very first song that I started listening to with Switchfoot and am still obsessed with it. I listened to this song as I read the book Speak and I just remember thinking that I needed to be doing more with my life. I just found this song so inspiring to be the best that I can be and it still reminds me of that feeling to this day, and I love it!
Dare you to Move (2003) “I dare you to move, Like today never happened, Today never happened before”
- Before the time of youtube, I used to wake up quite early and watch MTV/VH1 music videos in the morning, just to see this music video. I remember having some of the best days after listening to this song, and so I made it a point to try to see it every morning before school.
Stars (2005)“I’ve been thinking ’bout everyone, everyone you look so lonely … When I look at the stars, the stars, I feel like myself”
- I remember listening to this song for the very first time and being shocked that this band captured how I felt about stargazing. Living in a small town with farm communities surrounding my town, stargazing was and still is one of my favorite activities. There is something so special about looking up at the stars, and listening to this song gives me the same feeling, even during the day.
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine (2005) “Two scared little runaways, Hold fast to the break of day light were, The shadow proves the sunshine”
- This song was released right after I stopped hanging out with a few people and I was feeling lonely and upset. This song provided me the understanding that even though I was sad and upset, there were still positive things going on and positive things in my life. It’s always about your attitude.
Yesterdays (2006) “I remember you like yesterday, yesterday; I still can’t believe you’re gone, oh..”
- This was the first song I listened to after I found out that my Grandfather died. My iPod was on shuffle and it just so happened that this song was just beginning. My father always told me that when I cried, it should be happy tears. This song helps me so that when I think about my Grandpa, they are only happy tears.
Faust, Midas and Myself (2006) “You’ve one life, You’ve one life. You’ve one life left to lead.”
- This song is excellent to look at where you have been and where you are going. Later in the song, the simple lyrics “What direction?” continue to play over and over again and I feel like that is a perfect representation of where some people are. It all depends how they answer the question.
Hello Hurricane (2009) “Hello hurricane, You’re not enough; Hello hurricane, You can’t silence my love.”
- My brother and I went to a Switchfoot concert at a time when I was having a hard time with things. This one song gave me motivation and a spirit to keep fighting. The way that the band preformed this song inspired me to try again and it still motivates me to this day.
Blinding Light (2011) “Hey girl, you’re a strong one, But none of us are bulletproof”
- This song came on my shuffle one day when I was working on a paper and I was feeling defeated. This song identifies the defeated feeling without giving into it. This song makes me feel strong.
Thrive (2011) “No, I’m not alright, I know that I’m not right, Feel like I travel but I never arrive, I wanna thrive not just survive”
- I traveling home after the past Spring break and this song starts playing and I remember just being engulfed with the lyrics and the meaning of the song. I do want to thrive, not just survive. It’s a powerful message!
And so… Switchfoot was my first band and it is the band that I listen to when I feel off-centered in my life. After my grandfather died, this band helped me gain perspective and understanding that I was going to be alright. I listen to this band when I need to be motivated or when I feel like the world is falling in on me. I know it is not, and Switchfoot sometimes provides the assistance that I need to pick myself up and carry on.